Say NO to skin cancer: Shop safe with BeauBronz sunless tan
The warmer months have arrived and here at the BeauBronz HQ we couldn’t be happier to slip into our summer wardrobe!
Up and down the country, pale bodies are surfacing from hibernation which can only mean one thing: British sunburn.
It’s quite understandable – after all we spend most of the year wrapped up in scarves so why wouldn’t we want to treat our pasty limbs to some much needed Vitamin D? But the effect of sun damage goes far beyond sunburn and sunstroke…it can be life threatening.
Too much exposure to the suns rays without adequate sun protection can cause skin cancer.
According to the British Skin Foundation, Skin cancer is the most prominent form of Cancer in the UK, with more than 100,000 new cases diagnosed every year. There are three different types of skin cancer. These are malignant melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) and basal cell carcinoma (BCC).
Not every person who is diagnosed with skin cancer will die but mortality rates are around 2500 and that figure continues to rise year on year. The British Skin Foundation also advises that skin cancer, on average, decreases life expectancy by 20 years.
So what causes skin cancer? Obviously, we know that over-exposure to the sun in the peak of summer is a huge contributing factor. But did you also know that skin cancer can be caused by sunbed use?
According to Cancer Research UK, sunbeds give off UVA and UVB radiation. Over-exposure to this can damage the skins’ DNA which in turn can lead to skin cancer. One study found that exposure to UVA and UVB radiation can cause as much damage as spending double that time in the harsh midday sun of the Mediterranean.
Further still, even if you don’t develop skin cancer, being exposed to harmful rays can lead to your skin looking tired, wrinkled and aged.
So how can we prevent skin cancer yet still enjoy a tan? This was the question Abi O concerned herself with when she began BeauBronz all those years ago.
“At the time, my friend had been using sunbeds and had just been diagnosed with skin cancer. She lived, but it gave us all such a scare. I realised there had to be a safe alternative for women to get that sun-kissed glow without risking their health”, she says.
Abi O set out to produce a safer, better, more desirable alternative in the form of the BeauBronz sunless tan. Understanding how the skin can get easily dehydrated, Abi included organic aloe vera, shea butter and coconut oil into all BeauBronz products to ensure that the skin remains nourished throughout.
The BeauBronz self-tanning products simply cannot be rivalled in terms of their quality. BeauBronz provides a beautiful, even sunless tan without using harsh chemicals or parabens and all products are cruelty free.
Further still, you won’t have to worry about your tan smelling like biscuits because all BeauBronz products are non-fragranced, dry almost instantly and are non-stick. Two of our most popular BeauBronz products include the BeauBronz Soft Sun Self-Tan for English Roses which is available here, and the BeauBronz Gradual Tanner which is available here. The products work well together. Use Soft Sun (4% DHA) to create your desired colour over night and follow up with the Gradual Tanner (1% DHA) on the days when you don’t want to reapply tan. In addition to making your tan last longer, the gradual tanner works as a conditioner to the skin, bringing out a stunning even colour before locking it in and conditioning the skin.
Why bother putting your skin at risk of potential damage when you can fake it in the privacy of your own home and look like you have just stepped off a jet?
Our recommendation for staying healthy this summer is to AVOID sunbeds all together. Getting the perfect tan at the expense of your health isn’t the best idea.
We also want to make sure that our BeauBronzer’s know exactly how to keep themselves cool and free of sunburn. So here are our tips for staying healthy in the summer sun:
1. Wear UV protective sunglasses – because normal sunglasses won’t protect the thin layers of skin around your eyes
2. Sun hats are a MUST! A wide brimmed hat can protect your face, neck and shoulders where moles are prevalent.
3. If you want to sunbathe, make sure you’re wearing the highest factor suncream or sunscreen. Don’t skimp – your skin is your most important organ and it deserves to be treated with respect
4. Even if you’re staying in the UK this year, don’t forget to wear make-up which has added SPF – If you can see the sun, the sun’s rays can reach you. We recommend Environ Sun Care RAD antioxidant sunscreen which has an SPF of 15. You can buy it here
5. Always remember to dress toddlers in long, baggy T-shirts if you’re out in the sun. Their skin can’t fight against UV radiation which is why children burn easier than adults
6. You don’t have to sit on a sun lounger to get a tan! Swimming is a brilliant way to stay cool and perfect the golden tones. After applying sunscreen, spend as much time as you can at the pool or the beach. The water magnifies the rays but you’ll stay cool!
Our top tip, of course, is to get yourself ready with BeauBronz before you go away so that your skin is hydrated, conditioned and sun-kissed before you step off the plane!
We hope that you find our tips useful and that you enjoy the sun safely and that you will continue to check our blog for the latest announcements!
With love BeauBronz xox